What the Role Is
Cost Accountant will contribute to the analysis and reporting function for the Bardstown, Bernheim, Lethbridge and Deep Eddy departments. This position will be responsible for preparing, analyzing, and maintaining standard material, labor, and overhead cost data. This position will also perform variance analysis; assist with internal and financial reporting documents, monthly and year end close process; and perform routine accounting transactions This individual will perform work on complex and non-routine projects across the company’s plant operations infrastructure in areas such as cost savings.
This individual must be able to query data repositories, periodic reports, as well as devise methods for identifying data patterns and trends in available information sources. This role delivers effective results by providing useful data and recommendations for the implementation of process improvements as well as manufacturing support systems.
How You Will Spend Your Time?
- Responsible for creating, implementing, and maintaining cost accounting procedures and methods in accordance with GAAP, preparing and analyzing cost reports, and ensuring cost data is allocated correctly
- Manage standard costs and overheads
- Review new inventory part set-ups for structure and routing related to standard cost
- Responsible for semi-annual cost roll
- Review daily PPV report and investigate unusual variances
- Conduct analysis on various projects and programs including reliability, productivity, outsourcing, and cost savings initiatives
- Analyze actual manufacturing costs and prepare periodic report comparing standard costs to actual production costs
- Maintain up-to-date utilization and capacity analysis
- Collect, analyze, and make recommendations on operational data
- Generate standard or custom reports summarizing business and financial data for review by executives, managers, and other stakeholders
- Create tools or systems to support the operations group, including design of related databases, spreadsheets, or outputs
- Review weekly standard variances between cost sets
- Integrate current business information and/or trend data to support recommendations for action
- Conduct meetings with managers to gather, understand, and document data
- Perform special projects requiring complex data analysis and reporting
- Perform general ledger account reconciliations and other accounting functions as required.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all employees through the commitment to company safety policies and procedures
Who You Are…
- You posses a bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years work related experience in manufacturing cost accounting, including variance analysis, cost reporting and cost analysis.
- Previous experience in financial or operational analysis, research, audit and problem solving
- Strong analytical aptitude and are results oriented
- Knowledge of cost accounting principles, practices, and reporting of financial data
- Ability to synthesize and comprehend large quantities of data
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office tools and products including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed individual
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- Valued but no required CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or CMA (Certified Management Accountant)
- Knowledge of Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing concepts
- Advanced computer proficiency, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, and other systems such as Access and ERP Systems
- Previous experience in the distilled spirits industry