This role is onsite at our Louisville, KY (Bernheim Distillery)location.
What the Role Is (Description)
The Health and Safety Specialist will assist in the development, implementation, and enforcement of all Heaven Hill organizational safety programs. This position will support a people centered culture, and zero-incident state through accident prevention, policy enforcement, auditing and training. This individual will work in a team, to ensure the safety of all employees as well as the safety of any individual that may visit Heaven Hill facilities. This position reports to the Health, Safety and Security Manager, with a dotted line to the Director of Health, Safety and Security.
How You Will Spend Your Time? (Responsibilities)
- Ability to motivate change into a Safety-Focused culture.
- Embody and support the organizations core values.
- Oversee workers compensation claims management and return to work programs for the assigned facility.
- Oversee management of the facility DOT compliance program.
- Oversee the execution of corporate safety programs at the assigned facility.
- Evaluate workplace environments, equipment and practices, in order to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
- Inspect work areas regularly for safety hazards and participate in monthly site inspections.
- Conduct health and safety training related to corporate education programs. Provide new employee health and safety orientations.
- Investigate safety related incidents to identify root causes, and review all incidents for process and procedural improvements.
- Educate and assist in management of OSHA and DOT inspections as needed.
- Participate in project reviews and provide safety recommendations as part of managing process changes.
- Lead safety committee meeting, develop committee agendas, and complete reports/ documentation as directed.
- Attend site operations meetings on behalf of safety, and report out on safety initiatives, incidents, and organizational metrics.
- Serve as a link between management and employees by fielding questions, interpreting, and helping to resolve safety-related issues in a professional and timely manner.
- Participate in facility audits for compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Ensure all legal postings are accessible and posted according to legislative compliance (Liability Policies, OSHA 300 Log, Etc.)
- Compile and analyze incident trending data.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of OSHA regulations and educate employees on changes.
- Assist in the enforcement of all company safety programs, policies and procedures.
- Oversee facility’s personal protective equipment program.
- Verify that safety equipment such as hearing protection and safety glasses are available to employees and monitor their use of such equipment to ensure proper fit and use.
- Utilize and oversee management of corporate health and safety software’s for the facility.
- Provide health and safety program support to the local Heaven Hill visitor center.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who You Are… (Requirements & Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Public Health, or related field
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a Health and Safety role in a manufacturing industry or similar
- Experience with DOT compliance, workers compensation, and OSHA regulations
- Ability to create training materials and train effectively
- Ability to conduct effective investigations
- Working knowledge of risk assessment programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication, critical thinking and complex problem
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others
- Knowledge and ability to build effective teams, encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make appropriate decisions
- Excellent computer skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Safety Management Software
Valued but not Required Skills/Experience
- Professional Safety Certifications – CSP, CRM
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience with OSHA’s VPP (Voluntary Protection Program and/or SHARPS certification
While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, and use of computer; reach with hands and arms. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Health, Dental & Vision eligibility from day one
- 401K match
- Maternity/Paternity Leave